A tiny dog with a loud bark became a hero after saving the lives of two people in a devastating house fire.
The father and daughter were fast asleep in the terrace property in Grantchester Close, Hull, when a blaze took hold, Hull Live reports.
But one occupant was alert and that was five-year-old Midnight – a Japanese Chin/ terrier cross who sensed the danger at a crucially early stage.
The fire broke out in the early hours of Saturday which is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault.
The flames were almost touching the dad who was oblivious to the danger but Midnight managed to bark and wake him up just in time.
But the pet was not done yet as he ran to the other room where the adult daughter was sleeping and barked at her until she woke up.
The man’s other daughter, who does not live with them and wishes to remain anonymous, said: “People don’t realise what happened in there and how truly amazing Midnight has been.
“He is a tiny dog but he is loud and managed to save both their lives.
“It started in the living room where my dad was sleeping while my sister was in the bedroom.
“Midnight woke up my dad who realised flames were almost touching him. He could not get out by going downstairs so he had to smash a window at the back and dropped himself down from the first floor.
“But Midnight then went to my sister’s room. He had to bark right in her face as she had only just gone to sleep.
“When she woke up she tried to find my dad but he had already got out and she managed to get out downstairs.
“My dad was maybe 30 seconds from falling unconscious. There is no doubt Midnight saved their lives.”
Despite getting out safely neither the dad nor daughter did so unscathed and had to be taken to hospital, reports Hull Live.
The other daughter said: “My dad has suffered really bad smoke inhalation. He can barely talk as his throat is burned.
“He had to be put in an induced coma in ICU while they examined him but he is now awake and recovering in a stable condition.
“My sister is okay and suffered some minor burns.
“Fire crews even managed to get the tropical fish out of the house which somehow survived.
“But the rest of the flat has been gutted. They have literally lost everything.”
The neighbours either side of the property also had to be evacuated from their homes and have not been able to return yet.
One neighbour said: “We were woken up by banging and then saw all this smoke, I just thought we had to get out because I didn’t know what was happening.
“We came out and there were lots of people outside. We didn’t see the fire itself but only the aftermath but there was a lot of smoke.
“We don’t know what caused it but the man is still in hospital and is not in great shape.”
Her partner praised the neighbours for try to help.
He said: “There is a fantastic community spirit here and everyone came out to try and help,
“Everyone has been really good and supportive. We will do all we can to help the family.
His partner added: “They have lost pretty much everything. Their home has been destroyed. We are looking at possibly setting up a fundraising page for them.”
Humberside Fire and Rescue Service confirmed crews attended on its website.
It said: “There was a fire in first floor and the flat was 100 per cent destroyed by fire heat and smoke.
“The fire spread into the loft causing damage to the joists.
“We used two breathing apparatus one hose reel and a covering jet.
“An adult female occupier suffered slight burns and the male occupier suffered smoke inhalation. Both casualties taken to hospital by ambulance.
“The electricity supply has been isolated in the ground floor flat due to water ingress.”